Monday, February 05, 2007

Essential Oil Quality Tid-bits:



Did You Know . . .

Some oil producers do not actually add chemicals to their oils. Instead, they inject chemical solvents into the water in their boilers during the distillation process, increasing output by about 18%.

Imagine what happens to essential oils when chemicals are added to water, which is boiled into steam and then forced into plants to extract their oil. The very process of forcing chemically-treated steam into the plants fractures the molecular structure of the essential oils. It also seems impossible for an essential oil extracted through this method to avoid containing at least SOME of these chemical additives.

How to be sure your essential oils are therapeutic-grade:

While not everyone has ready access to scientific analysis of essential oils, these questions can help you determine if a product is therapeutic grade:

- Are the fragrances subtle, rich, organic, and delicate?

- Do they feel natural? (An essential oil should not feel greasy like vegetables oils do).

- Do the fragrances vary from batch to batch as an indication that they are pure and painstakingly distilled in small batches rather than industrially processed and mixed on a large scale?

- Does your supplier grow and distill its own organically grown herbs?

- Are the distillation facilities part of the farm where the herbs are grown so they are freshly distilled — or do the
herbs lose their potency as they wait for weeks to be transported and processed?

- Does your supplier use low pressure and low temperature to distill essential oils and preserve all of their fragile chemical constituents?

- Are the distillation cookers vertical rather than horizontal?

- Are they fabricated from costly stainless steel alloys to reduce the likelihood of the oils chemically reacting with metal?

- Does your supplier have representatives traveling worldwide to personally inspect the fields and distilleries where the herbs are grown and distilled?

- Does your supplier buy directly from the grower?

- Does your supplier scrutinize the facilities to ensure that no synthetic chemicals are used?

Ways Young Living Ensures Oil Purity:

1. We plant, harvest and distill on our own farms. The best defense against adulteration is to completely control herb cultivation and distillation. This is why Young Living grows over 15 different herbs, including lavender, clary sage, melissa, thyme, sage, peppermint, spearmint, German chamomile, Roman chamomile, and Idaho tansy.

2. We visit and inspect the farms and distillation facilities of our essential oil suppliers. By personally inspecting the facilities of outside oil producers, Young Living ensures that herbs meet stringent quality specifications.

3. We use state-of-the-art chemical analysis to check every batch of essential oils. Young Living quarantines, inspects, and tests each lot of essential oils for purity and quality. Oils can go through as many as five separate levels of analysis before they are released.

Because Young Living essential oils are grown, handled and distilled properly purity is ensured. You know you are always getting the best.

I have used essential oils for about 20 years. However, Young Living was not in business back when I had begun using essential oils. I still sought out and found the best essential oils I could find in the US. I was looking for essential oils so I could make my own household cleaners, and to use for aromatherapy purposes.

Because the oils I found back then were not stringently regulated and pure I never put a sinlge drop on my body or in my cooking, why? Because they contained chemicals and it would be dangerous. I was only able to use those oils in very limited ways.

Then, about 7 years ago, while attending my classical Feng Shui class, a woman who sold Young Living essential oils did a presentation on how we could use essential oils for purifying negative energy in homes when we were called in to do "Space Clearings." She was also showing us how it was perfectly safe to apply these oils to our bodies and use them in cooking because of their purity.

Well, one smell of the Young Living oils and I KNEW that what I had been buying was junk!

I placed a very large order, over $500, and when I got home I literally threw-out all of the oils I had gotten from that other company. Besides, after smelling pure, high quality oils, the ones I had at home actually smelled horrible and like they could be toxic. Since then, I have only using Young Living oils.

I decided to sell these wonderful oils and essential oil enhanced products about 1 1/2 years ago mostly because I want people to know that the vast majority of what's available out there is junk and they are not safe to use. I wanted people to know there is a better option to choose from. An option that is not adding more chemicals that pollute our lovely earth and bodies.

Even if I were not selling the Young Living line, I would still be buying and using their essential oils and products.

Take a look around my blog here to get familiar with some of the many ways essential oils can be used, this is just a small sampling.

My product website will explain and show you even more ways to use pure essential oils - The Very Essence.

And as always, please feel free to contact me shoud you have any questions and wish to learn more.

~ o ~

No comments: