Thursday, August 09, 2007

My Dogs Favorite Essential Oil - Palo Santo

This is my dog, Bandit. Two years ago he was playing with another dog and Bandit ended up getting hurt. It was his hind leg that got injured and he could hardly walk, he was lame. After two days of showing no improvement, I took him to the vet to find out what exactly was wrong.

Turned out he had a mild “cranial tibial thrust” of his left knee. The vet suggested surgery, at a cost about $2,000. I didn’t make an appointment for surgery because I felt it could heal with some TLC and essential oils.

It took a while but it appears to have healed (primarily because Palo Santo was not being distilled at the time of his injury) by the usage of a particular essential oil and of course rest, a good diet (raw). The essential oil is called Palo Santo. I believe Young Living is “still” the only company in the world that is distilling Palo Santo.

Bandit has a beautiful long silky coat so what I did was work work my fingers down to his skin and held the hair as much out of the way as I could. I then put one or two drops of Palo Santo on his skin and rub it in with my fingers.

Today, Bandit still enjoys Palo Santo when he is feeling stiffness. He knows the oil by name and sniffs it out in my essential oil case of some 150 different oils.

I’ll put a drop on his hip and within 30 seconds he has what I call, “puppy energy.” As soon as I get myself a digital video camera I’ll record it for everyone to see, it’s pretty amazing.

Palo Santo trees grow like weeds on the newest Young Living farm which is located in Ecuador. The thing about Palo Santo I find most interesting is that the essential oil does not come from “live” plant parts, but rather the dead fallen wood.

Palo Santo has a strong and distinctive scent comes from the same botanical family (Burseraceae) as frankincense, although it is found in South America rather than the Middle East. Like frankincense, palo santo is known as a spiritual oil, traditionally used by the Incas to purify and cleanse the spirit from negative energies. Even its Spanish name reflects how highly this oil is regarded, Palo Santo means “holy wood” or “sacred wood.”

In my mind, when I think of the properties of frankincense, I think celluar repair. I had heard that Palo Santo was also beneficial for discomfort. For these two resaons is why I originally chose this oil, Bandit appeared to agree with my choice.

When using essential oils on dogs, or any animal for that matter, you must remember to not over do it. Proper use of therapeutic-grade essential oils, I believe, can make a big difference.

I think our four-legged and furry friends appreciate alternative therapies. I know Bandit certainly does.

Buy Palo Santo

No comments: